Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Homemade Hummus

One reason I enjoy making this recipe hummus is because of how smooth it turns out. This is a very basic recipe- I just throw everything together in my Vitamix and blend it up until it's nice and smooth. It would be very easy to add in other flavors you might like- roasted red pepper, pine nuts or roasted garlic- whatever you're in the mood for that day. 
This is tahini- ground up sesame seeds. The bottle is a bit pricey- but it's HUGE!! And it keeps in the pantry for a super long time. You don't need much of it for a batch, so it will last awhile. Making hummus from scratch is still cheaper than buying it premade from the store. 

Hummus and veggies saves me after school or church- when the kids come in starving and want something immediately (or they might just die!! you know how it gets!!), and this is a great way to fill them up with veggies instead of crackers or junk. One of my dear friends also introduced me to dipping apples in hummus and it's surprisingly amazing!! Ok, here's my recipe:


Homemade Basic Hummus
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans - (AKA chick peas) - include the water from one can, drain out half of the water from the second can
1/4 cup tahini (ground up sesame seed paste)
1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
I will also link this up to my tzatiki sauce, and pan seared chicken soon. It's a great compliment when you're eating this in a pita. Healthy and fresh- I love it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment