Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Family Valentine's Day Traditions

When I was a little girl, I could hardly stand the anticipation of Valentine's Day. Making the valentines and mailbox way in advance, picking out each saying carefully as to not have anybody misunderstand my intentions. Reading over each Valentine I received carefully to see if there was any underlying meaning- it was all so exciting.
Then the teen years hit and it seemed it was just one big day of rejection. If there was no romance to be had, the day was just a reminder of how much I was alone. (So pathetic!!) But these past years, Valentine's Day has become special to me again in an even better way than before. I am blessed to be in a wonderful relationship- but it is about so much more than that now. It's a full month of helping me remember to show love more to my kids, husband, family, friends and neighbors. And I hope I can pass this legacy onto my kids instead of the way I behaved in the past.  Now that the day is about everyone else, it is leaps and bounds better than it was when it was all about myself.

 We use valentines boxes during the month of February to write each other love notes. I've realized it really helps me to appreciate my children and husband more as I'm thinking more about the things I appreciate about them, instead of the things that drive me bananas.
 Sometimes we have our friends join us for valentine's parties as well. It's fun to send a balloon home with each little friend who comes over. We get our balloons for $1 at Dollar Tree. We're quite the sight coming out of there with a flock of balloons on a windy day. Trying to stuff them in the car is always an adventure!
The night before Valentine's day when the kids are in bed, I get the house decorated up fancy with balloons and streamers. I set up for our traditional breakfast- donuts. Super easy, but something we don't do on a regular basis. I also put out their mail boxes with the notes they've been collecting and some extra little treats and prizes.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment