Friday, November 17, 2017

Garlic Green Beans

This is my favorite way eat green beans. It's been a family Thanksgiving favorite for years. I know a lot of people serve green bean casserole, but I love having a side that is light and fresh to balance out the other heavy food. This recipe is also a great option for family or friends that have allergies as it is gluten and dairy free.
The ingredients are simple: green beans, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll add bacon or parmesan cheese. But I think it stands on its own with out those options. (Definitely leave out the parmesan cheese if you have your dairy free crowd at the table!)

Toss your green beans in a pan with some minced garlic and a splash of olive oil at medium high heat. Saute for just a couple minutes. Then add a few table spoons of water, and cover with a lid for about 5-8 minutes. I know when the beans are done when they are a nice bright green color, I don't rely on exact cooking times. You can test the green beans with a fork to see if they are the tender texture you are looking for. Salt and pepper to taste. 
Sometimes if I'm in a pinch, I'll use garlic salt in place of the salt and minced garlic. 

This is one veggie our kids can always get on board with.

No comments:

Post a Comment