Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Veggie Chili- with a meat option

Don't chilly, foggy days just make you want to hunker down with a book, take a little nap or watch a movie snuggled in a cozy blanket? This chili is also the perfect food to go with a cold day. This is also something that always ends up on my menu plan when I'm trying to get the junk out of my diet and I need food that is healthy and hearty to keep me from getting hungry.

I love it because it is super easy, and can be left in the crockpot on low all day if I need it to, or it can be ready in just a few hours on high. It would also be awesome in an Instant Pot. I just haven't tried it yet. I also love this chili because it is so versatile. Whatever you have around the house, you can throw in this stuff. Here's how we make it:

Veggie chili- with a meat option

1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can light red kidney beans
(Or great northern beans can be substituted for any of these. Any bean will do- I like the color and variety of having 3 different types)
1 can kernel corn
1 can hominy
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 small can green chilies (Another option would be getting the diced tomatoes with chilies already added. This will usually be a tad milder)
1 1/2 cups of meat- OPTIONAL (chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, beef stew meat- all work great. Bacon would be delicious, too, but I would take it down to 1/3 cup. I would pre-cook all of these options except for the chicken. It would be fine going in raw.)
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery (I even use the leafy part)
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP garlic salt
1 TBSP dehydrated onions
3 tsp vegetable chicken or beef boullion (I use chicken the most often)
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1/8 tsp pepper

Juice from one lime
1/3 bunch of cilantro (chopped)

If you want a red chili, add in a small can of tomato sauce.
For a green chili, add 1/2 cup of green salsa.
For some more heat, add some chili powder or Tabasco hot sauce.

Our favorite fresh toppings (pick your fave or use what you have on hand):

Sliced olives
Fresh mango or pineapple (Sooo tasty. Especially if you like a sweet and savory meal)
Fresh tomatoes
Avocado/guacamole
Shredded cheese
Dollup of sour cream or plain yogurt
Chopped green onions
Chips
Tabasco (chipotle or jalapeno flavors are our favorites)
Start by adding all the ingredients except for the lime, cilantro and fresh toppings. Dump them all in the crockpot. You can give them a little stir, then let them sit for 6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
Once it's done cooking, add the lime juice and cilantro, stir until mixed in. Then put in bowls with your favorite toppings. Last night we served them in snack size chip bags- we call them "walking tacos". Serving with fresh tortillas is also delicious. Or sometimes we serve it on top of a baked potato. You can also add more broth to it and eat it as a soup.

If you like it with more heat- my husband and son love eating it with Chipotle Tabasco on top. I like the Jalapeno Tabasco.

You really can’t go wrong. Depending on what we have around the house, it can be different every time!


No comments:

Post a Comment