Friday, January 12, 2018

Apple-Banana Oatmeal with Pecans

I lost a dear friend this week. The circumstances are as tragic as they come. Death after death after death in her family in a very short period of time, with a tiny girl left behind. It's shocking and heart breaking. I've been in a funk with such a heavy heart. I know I'll see my friend someday in the afterlife, but I'm just sad for the way she left, and the hard life ahead of her daughter. I'll miss her bright smile and contagious laughter.
I haven't felt very excited about eating much. But this oatmeal has been a comforting breakfast this week. Easy on the stomach, with homey flavors:

Apple-Banana Oatmeal with Pecans

2/3 cup water
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 banana
1 apple (chopped)
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
dash of salt
dash of nutmeg
4 pecan halves (optional)

Put your oatmeal and water together in a microwave safe bowl. I stick mine in for 1:45, but it will depend on your microwave. As soon as it's done, I put the chopped apples in, while it's still piping hot. Then quickly place a plate on top of the bowl. I usually do this while I'm getting out the other ingredients. Let it sit there for a couple minutes (it's gives the apples a little bit of a cooked taste). Then add all the other ingredients. Most days I also pair it with some easy scrambled eggs. I usually cook the eggs while the oatmeal is resting with the apples.
It's a solid breakfast and keeps me going for several hours.
To all of you with a heavy heart:
Keep going, keep fueling your body with healthy wonderful things. Life is beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment