Monday, December 11, 2017

Golden Graham S’more Snacks

S'mores have always been a favorite treat of mine. I can be a bit of a s'more snob. Roasted over the fire is the best, but roasted in the oven is a close second. I like my marshmallows melted through, but golden on top. Not burned or melty with out that nice crunch. My sisters always told me if I found a guy who would stick with me after watching me eat a s'more (I always seem to end up with chocolate all over my face), that I was to hold on to him and never let go. 
This recipe first came about when our neighbors invited us over last minute for some games and dessert on Christmas evening one year.  We love these neighbors. Like us, they don't have family nearby to celebrate the holidays with. They also have a bunch of kids, so our standard of fanciness is right on the same level. They're the kind of neighbors who take my little kids when I'm running another sick kid to get x-rays. Or bring me popsicles for my fevered kids who aren't cooling down when my husband is out of town. We borrow ingredients from each other in a pinch, and they laugh with me when I've unknowingly lent them a bottle of worchestershire sauce that's 5 years expired. We've seen each other through long soccer seasons, and brutal pregnancies. I truly don't know what Id' do with out them! They can never move. 
Even though we are super casual, I didn't want to go over there empty handed. Their children have severe dairy allergies, and as I looked around the house, I couldn't spot anything suitable to bring over. So I ran to my pantry and got a little creative.
 I didn't have more than a few minutes to get ready. I grabbed a box of golden grahams cereal, marshmallows and some chocolate chips. All dairy free. I threw them on a tray with some parchment paper underneath.
Cranked the oven up to 400 degrees, and popped the tray in for about 4 minutes.

 It was magical. Crunchy, gooey, chocolatey. So easy, and so tasty. They didn't last long at the game night. So if you need a great snack to bring to a party, and you don't have any time to throw something fancy together, but you want to bring a snack or dessert everyone one will enjoy- this recipe is for you!!! It would also be easy to make a gluten free version- just use Corn Chex, or another gluten free cereal instead of Golden Grahams. 

*Allergy note: the chocolate chips pictured are not dairy free. Make sure your read your labels if you're cooking for someone with a food allergy



No comments:

Post a Comment