Friday, December 29, 2017

Candy Bar Apple Dip




This is great appetizer to bring to a party. I like to bring it over for Thanksgiving or Christmas Day gatherings. This year it’s on our New Year’s Eve menu. I like this dip best on sliced apples. Somehow serving it with a fruit makes it feel a little bit healthy. It’s also delicious with pretzels or graham crackers. But stick with the apples if you’re looking for a gluten free treat.

I first had a dip like this in California at a book club. We were a bunch of moms that would get together once a month, and hopefully at least one or two of us would read the book. Although we all enjoyed reading, the reason to get together was really a chance for us to get away for an evening from our exhausting responsibilities. We made wonderful friendships. Of the ten or so of us that used to attend, I think only one or two still live in that little city where we used to live. I miss all those ladies. They will always have a special place in my heart. So every time I make this dip, I think about my sweet friend who would bring it for us to drown our sorrows in, and celebrate the little details of our lives together. I have since lost her recipe, so this is my version of it:

16 oz Cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Butter, softened
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup candy: Chocolate covered Heath bits, Snickers or Receeses peanut butter cups
Mini chocolate chips or mini M&M’s. Oreos would be tasty, too.
(Just make sure you don't add oreos if you're making this gluten free!)

I like to use a food processor, but a mixer would be fine too. Whip together cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla until nice and smooth. Add your choice of candy (or an assortment). Mix until combined
.
For best results, stick in the fridge for the flavors to rest and blend for several hours or overnight.

Eat with sliced apples. I like Granny Smith’s the best so the tart balances out the sweet. My family is very happy eating it with fuji, pink lady or honeycrisp apples as well.
Even my kids who are missing half their teeth find a way to eat this apple dip.


I love the flavor of the peanut butter cups, but the heath bits give the perfect crunch. These two combined with the mini chocolate chips is my favorite combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment