Thursday, December 28, 2017

Chicken Noodle Soup

Homemade chicken noodle soup is one of my comfort foods when I get sick. I love whipping this up on a cold wintery day. It's super fast and easy.

Ingredients:

1 cup Grilled chicken (or canned chicken in a pinch)
1 cup chopped carrots* and celery
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can of great northern beans
1 can of light kidney beans
1 TBSP ground sage
1/2 TBSP dehydrated onions
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup cold water
10 cups chicken broth (you could also use bouillon)
1/2 a bag of whole wheat egg noodles (regular are fine too, I just like to add in the whole wheat noodles where they are the least detected)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Put chopped carrots and celery into a pot along with chicken broth. Boil for about 10-15 minutes until veggies are starting to get soft.

2. Add beans, sage, onions, garlic and chicken. Bring back to a boil.

3. Add noodles, check label for al dente cooking time (usually about 7 minutes). Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water. Add to pot. Stir a few times to incorporate.

4. Take off heat. Add frozen veggies. This helps cool down the soup. My family likes their soup as cool as possible. I usually add some ice to their bowls when I dish it up. I like my soup steaming hot, so I generally leave the ice out of my bowl.

5. Eat up and enjoy!!

The beans and the whole wheat egg noodles bring just a bit more protein and nutrition to your typical version of chicken noodle soup.

*Also, if you want to make the soup even faster, use a bag of "mixed frozen vegetables" in place of the chopped carrots, corn and peas.


No comments:

Post a Comment