Monday, March 12, 2012

Candlelight Dinners

We instituted a new tradition in our family this week. I was remembering how neat my grandmother is. Everynight at dinner she eats by candlelight. It was something I could always count on when we would stop by in the evening or when we were the guests. I've been trying to figure out how we could have better manners and keep everyone at the table while we eat. So we now have brought in this famly tradition with a twist. Whoever has the best manners, gets to blow out the candles at the end of dinner. And everyone stays at the table as long as they're lit. It's been working really well! The manners are definitely improving. We haven't had candles every night as I'd hoped. (And we had a little set back when Dad was passing a dish to someone across the table and burned his arm.) But I will settle for most nights of the week and be very content. I hope by this small gesture my kids will see how important it is in our family to have this special time every night to sit down together (even if it is just me and the kids with Dad on the road). Thank you, Gram, for being an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment